Tags: appears, calls, footnote, insert, mark, mark-superscript, microsoft, msdn, number, reference, software, thefootnote, user, word

footnote reference mark--superscript

On Microsoft » Microsoft Word

5,409 words with 5 Comments; publish: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:34:00 GMT; (30093.75, « »)

I'm a new user of Word 2003. When I insert a footnote, what Word calls the

footnote reference mark -- i.e., the footnote number that appears in the text

-- does not appear as a superscript, but rather in the same size as the rest

of the text. How do I get the number to appear as a superscript (and

preferably smaller)?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

  • 5 Comments
    • Make sure that the Footnote Reference character style has not been modified

      (by default it's defined as Default Paragraph Font + Superscript).

      Suzanne S. Barnhill

      Microsoft MVP (Word)

      Words into Type

      Fairhope, Alabama USA

      Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org

      Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so

      all may benefit.

      "lfc" <lfc.ms-word.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

      news:B4480FB9-DF63-42F6-8942-3B58CC6C42BD.ms-word.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

      > I'm a new user of Word 2003. When I insert a footnote, what Word calls

      the

      > footnote reference mark -- i.e., the footnote number that appears in the

      text

      > -- does not appear as a superscript, but rather in the same size as the

      rest

      > of the text. How do I get the number to appear as a superscript (and

      > preferably smaller)?

      #1; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:35:00 GMT
    • "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

      > Make sure that the Footnote Reference character style has not been modified

      > (by default it's defined as Default Paragraph Font + Superscript).

      > --

      > Suzanne S. Barnhill

      > Microsoft MVP (Word)

      > Words into Type

      > Fairhope, Alabama USA

      > Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org

      > Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so

      > all may benefit.

      > "lfc" <lfc.ms-word.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

      > news:B4480FB9-DF63-42F6-8942-3B58CC6C42BD.ms-word.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

      > the

      > text

      > rest

      >

      And how do I check whether the FR character style has been modified? (Sorry

      to ask such basic questions.)

      #2; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:36:00 GMT
    • Format->Style. This will bring up the Styles & Formatting pane. Select the

      Footnote Reference style in the pane - hover should pop up a tooltip with the

      style definition. You can click the arrow next to the name and choose Modify

      to change the settings.

      This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

      "lfc" wrote:

      > And how do I check whether the FR character style has been modified? (Sorry

      > to ask such basic questions.)

      >

      #3; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:37:00 GMT
    • The Footnote Reference style is never displayed in the Styles & Formatting

      task pane, even with "All Styles" displayed and even if you have a footnote

      reference mark selected, unless you have tinkered with the style visibility

      in Custom. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ModifyAStyle.html

      Suzanne S. Barnhill

      Microsoft MVP (Word)

      Words into Type

      Fairhope, Alabama USA

      Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org

      Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so

      all may benefit.

      "Renee [MSFT]" <reneemi.ms-word.todaysummary.com.donotspam.microsoft.com> wrote in message

      news:E4029706-3BD4-49C6-9F64-1ED33A4E8372.ms-word.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

      > Format->Style. This will bring up the Styles & Formatting pane. Select

      the

      > Footnote Reference style in the pane - hover should pop up a tooltip with

      the

      > style definition. You can click the arrow next to the name and choose

      Modify

      > to change the settings.

      > --

      > This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no

      rights.[vbcol=seagreen]

      >

      > "lfc" wrote:

      (Sorry[vbcol=seagreen]

      #4; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:38:00 GMT
    • "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

      > The Footnote Reference style is never displayed in the Styles & Formatting

      > task pane, even with "All Styles" displayed and even if you have a footnote

      > reference mark selected, unless you have tinkered with the style visibility

      > in Custom. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ModifyAStyle.html

      > --

      > Suzanne S. Barnhill

      > Microsoft MVP (Word)

      > Words into Type

      > Fairhope, Alabama USA

      > Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org

      > Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so

      > all may benefit.

      > "Renee [MSFT]" <reneemi.ms-word.todaysummary.com.donotspam.microsoft.com> wrote in message

      > news:E4029706-3BD4-49C6-9F64-1ED33A4E8372.ms-word.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

      > the

      > the

      > Modify

      > rights.

      > (Sorry

      > Thanks for the answers. I'll let you know if I need further help.

      #5; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:39:00 GMT